Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Basics - Dealing with Anxiety and Panic Attacks


Below are brief descriptions of techniques that have helped me get my anxiety disorder under control.  I have gone from Agoraphobia and severe daily panic attacks to having some anxiety and no full blown panic attacks.  The information below is from a variety of different sources: courses, workshops, books (listed below), doctors and peers with the same issue.  Anxiety is one of those issues that I have dealt with all of my life.  I have learned to keep it under control by using positive self-talk, nutrition and exercise, grounding techniques including breath control, mindfulness meditation, self-care, group or one-on-one counselling and finally non-narcotic medication from my doctor.
1. Self-talk is something that takes time to work on and will never be perfect.  The beginning stages of trying to get panic attacks under control would include “talking yourself down”.  When I feel a panic attack coming on rather than fighting it or buying into I ride it out.  I tell myself soothing things, that I will be ok, I can deal with this, there is peace in this very second, etc.
2. Nutrition includes eliminating any and all stimulants to begin with; it’s an easy fix with a lot of benefit.  Obvious items I removed from my lifestyle were coffee, caffeinated pop, chocolate, smoking, alcohol and drugs.  Items I limited in my diet were simple carbohydrates and sugar. I increased green leafy veggies and fruit.  Everyone is different and we know when we feel in balance physically. After a few months I would add in one thing - a cup of coffee or a bit of chocolate and see how I reacted.  If my anxiety is high then I just stay away from them but if I'm in a good place I have been able to go back to them.
 Daily physical activity such as yoga or walking can release excess hormones, increase serotonin and energy and help with sleeping.  But never in access because then it just backfires. These were all suggestions from a Psychologist who is an anxiety expert.
3. Grounding techniques are key and will be used for a lifetime.  Google or go on youtube with search words “anxiety, grounding techniques” and you will find plenty of ideas.  A couple basics:
·         Sit in a chair and really feel it.  Say to yourself I’m sitting in this chair right now and it feels…and describe the chair – is it cold, wooden, are your feet on the ground, how does that feel, then name 5 things that you can see in the room and describe yourself there looking at those things and remind yourself that you are there right now and this is what you see and what you feel. 
·         Box Breathing – I have been told and have experienced that it is absolutely impossible for a panic attack to progress when you box breath.  There are examples of this on youtube if you need more explaination but basically it thinking of your breath as a square: you inhale for 4 counts, hold for 4 counts, exhale for 4 counts and then wait for 4 counts and repeat.  This is the first thing they teach in all anxiety workshops and it works like a charm…everytime.  The secret is to practice it a dozen times each day when you are not having a panic attack or when your anxiety is low.
4. Mindfulness Meditation – there are many books on this subject and you can find Jon Kabat-Zinn (&  many others) on youtube can bring you thru a mindfulness meditation.  I have electronic files I can send with beginner body scan meditations and 3 minute breathing space meditations.  It takes consistency to see results but it is one more piece of the puzzle.
5.  Self-care – seems silly but it’s a must.  This includes having a safe person to talk to about what you are feeling and to be accountable to for recovery, having a routine, eating 3 meals healthy a day, not isolating, find a counsellor or support group, and being consistent with your care.
6. Counselling or Groups – in London there are a number of groups run by the hospital and all that needs to be done is call urgent care mental health and they can assess you and do the referral to the Anxiety Disorder Grp, my experience is family doc referrals are not put thru as quickly as going thru the UCMH Clinic. When you call them they will usually see you in 2-3 days.  My experience is that people who have never experienced anxiety don’t understand, they think we can control it, mind over matter or just get away for a while…it’s always there until we deal with it.
Another really great course I took was with Dr. Kate Partridge in London.  Her website is http://corporate.drkatepartridge.com/mindfulness-stress/ and she is awesome.  If you are looking for someone in a different area, she could probably give you a couple of names as she is an anxiety and stress expert.
7. Medication – anxiety is also a problem with brain chemistry and many of us need medication given by a doctor who really understands anxiety.  My experience with medication has been that benzo’s (anything ending in “pam” or from the Atavan family) are addictive and actually perpetuated the problem with me.  The more I took, the more I needed.   Anti-depressants are helpful and what I need to take in conjunction with the actions listed above (Zoloft, gabapentin, etc)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I welcome comments as it is a way for me to learn and grow. Thanks for keeping the comments 'PG' as this is a public site. Blessings and Love <3 Bonnie